Every year lakhs of students complete their graduation in commerce and seek answers for two big questions; whether to pursue higher studies or to search for an employment.
A commerce graduate interested in further studies can choose an appropriate post graduation course from a wide range of courses that are offered by universities or institutes across India or globally.
However, before taking a leap into either further studies or taking up a job one has to be aware of certain requirements:
- One’s interest in a particular subject. For instance one has to analyze which was that one subject that interested him or her during graduation.
- Analytical and interpretation skills. i.e., one should make a choice of post graduation course after assessing whether one is good at analyzing and interpreting data.
- Also one should be aware of his / her personality since this plays an important role in choosing the area of specialization or nature of job. For example if a student has good analytical & interpretational skills then such a student can pursue a course in Finance and / Accountancy or can take up the role of a financial analyst On the other hand a student who has good presentation skills and can speak convincingly can enroll into MBA course or work as a marketing executive.
Aspiring Career for Commerce Graduates
For commerce students aspiring to be a Chartered Accountant / Cost Accountant / Company Secretary, the below given links provide an insight into various courses:
For those who are interested in pursuing a career as a chartered accountant.
For those who are interested in pursuing a career in cost accounting.
For those who aspire to become a company secretary.
A commerce graduate interested in pursuing MBA or post graduate diploma course can either enroll for an Open University course or through distance learning.
Top five B schools for MBA in India for commerce graduates are given below:
1 IIM Ahmedabad – http://www.iimahd.ernet.in/
2 IIM Bangalore – http://www.iimb.ernet.in/
3 IIM Calcutta – http://www.iimcal.ac.in/
4 SIBM Pune – http://www.sibm.edu/
5 IIM Lucknow – http://www.iiml.ac.in/
Ranking Source: http://specials.indiatoday.com/slideshow/bestBSchool/five.html
Below is the list of top five institutes for distance learning:
- The ICFAI Centre for Distance Education – http://www.icfaimba.in/icfai-distance-learning.html
- NMIMS (Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies) – http://www.nmims.edu/
- XLRI, Jamshedpur – http://www.xlri.ac.in/
- IGNOU (Indira Gandhi National Open University) – http://www.ignou.ac.in/ignou/aboutignou/icc/dec/introduction
- Symbiosis Centre for Distance Learning (SCDL) – http://www.scdl.net/scdl/
Ranking Source: http://www.mbapursuit.com/top-distance-mba-institutes-india
A commerce graduate who is inclined towards financial market can specialize in this area by enrolling into a course in financial markets. Snapshots of the institutes are below:
As the saying goes “too much is too bad”, an overload of information creates confusion and makes it difficult for anyone to make a choice. However, analyzing oneself and being aware of one’s strength and weaknesses goes a long way in making the right choice.
About the Author:
This post has been contributed by Varsha Madhukar, one of the top article writers from India. She is a commerce graduate and have around six years of work experience in the field of Accounts & Finance.